Having an abortion is both a SAFE and EFFECTIVE way to end an unwanted pregnancy. In fact, the risks of going through a pregnancy or childbirth are usually higher.
Your 1st Appointment Before An Abortion
During your first appointment at Lovejoy SurgiCenter abortion clinic, we’ll confirm that you are pregnant with a FREE pregnancy test and an ultrasound. Then you’ll meet with one of our counselors to talk about all of your choices. If you decide to go ahead with an abortion, you’ll learn more about the abortion procedure before an abortion. Plus, we will learn about your options for preventing another unexpected pregnancy.
You’ll be asked for a Health History to save time. This printable, 2-page form can be filled out before you come to Lovejoy. All patient information is kept confidential and is never shared outside of Lovejoy without your permission. We want you to feel safe knowing that your privacy is always protected.
Call us if you have these WARNING SIGNS:
- Excessive bleeding
- Severe pain
- Fever over 100.4° F
Confidential appointments for procedures are available Tuesday through Saturday, depending on appointment type.
Day of Your Abortion.
This may be the same day as your first appointment if your pregnancy is early (between five and 10 weeks). If so, shower or bathe as usual before coming in and dress comfortably. Take any prescription medications at the usual times unless you plan to have general anesthetic; in which case, we will need to speak with you in advance about what you are taking. Please bring a friend of family member. You’ll need a ride home. To reduce your stress, and the stress of others, we ask that you not bring babies or children with you to any of your appointments.
If you would like GENERAL ANESTHESIA (being put to sleep) before an abortion, it’s important that you not eat, drink or smoke after midnight prior to coming in for your procedure. This is for your safety, and if you have not been able to do this, we will have to schedule your abortion for another day. Also check with us about any prescription medications you usually take daily.
Your Lovejoy counselor or doctor is always here to answer any questions or concerns you may have about general anesthesia.
What to Bring With You:
- A current insurance card or coupon (must be current month).
- If using either the Oregon or Washington Health Plans, it cannot be for “emergency only” or “family planning only”.
- If using Kaiser, please call its OB-GYN advice nurse and ask for a referral to be faxed to Lovejoy at (503) 221-1488. Kaiser is very supportive and faxes referrals every weekday (not on Saturday or Sunday). Please allow 24 hours for this fax to reach us.
- A photo ID such as a driver’s license or school ID (especially if you are using insurance of any kind).
- Cash, debit card, VISA, MasterCard or Discover. Lovejoy Surgicenter does not accept money orders or personal checks.
If you have any questions or concerns about having an abortion, please do not hesitate to call us at (503) 221-1870.